Chicken Vegetable Burger w/ Low Carb Bun
- 1 pound ground chicken, preferably half dark and half white meat
- 3/4 cup coarsely grated zucchini, excess liquid squeezed out
- 2 tablespoons grated (yellow) onion, drained of liquid
- 2 tablespoons no sugar added ketchup (I use Primal Kitchen or Walden Farms from Sprouts)
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley (avoid if you have kidney stones!)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced scallion, white and light green parts only
- 1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil (or organic canola oil), plus extra for coating hands
- 4 low carb hamburger buns (Thinslimfoods.com which are low carb buns)
Toppings of your choice: sliced tomato, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, pickles, mustard, lettuce, etc
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Add the zucchini, onion, ketchup, garlic, basil, parsley, scallion, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper and mix well.
- Lightly coat your hands with oil and form the chicken mixture into 4 patties (they will be quite moist). Place on a platter or rimmed baking sheet and refrigerate for 15 minutes to firm up.
- In a nonstick griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, heat the vegetable oil. Arrange the patties in the pan and cook until browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Flip the burgers and cook for an additional 4 to 5 minutes, until cooked through.
- Place the burgers on the buns and serve with your favorite toppings.